At Home With Cornish 64

 
In At Home With Cornish 62, we saw two ways of asking 

to have something

or to do something:



Pejy, my a venja cawas …

Please, I'd like to have …

My a vedn mos dhe'n …

I want to go to the ...


e.g. Pejy, my a venja cawas dehen rew.

Please, I would like to have an ice cream.

e.g. My a vedn mos dhe'n treth.

I want to go to the beach.

Obviously, “venja” is more polite than “vedn”.


vedn” can also be used for the future,

e.g. My a vedn mos dhe'n milva.

I will go to the zoo.


You can use many verbs with venja and vedn -


not just cawas and mos


Let's look at some alternatives to mos


which usually need some sort  of action or place. 


They do not take an object.


bys en” is a good way of saying “to” a place.


kerdhes walk



pònya run



lebmel jump



diwrosya cycle



marhoga horse ride



gòlya sail




e.g. My a vedn pònya dhe'n park

I want to run to the park.

I will run to the park.


My a venja gòlya bys en Frenk. 

I'd like to sail to France


Let's look at some alternatives to cawas

verbs which do take an object.


e.g. debry eat

eva drink

tâstya taste

assaya try (can be shortened to saya)

kemeres take

rei give

drei bring


The list of objects is infinite! Here are some suggestions.

How many combinations can you make?

Look up some vocabulary from the past and compose some more.


gwlânek




kei



bara jynjer



pemp pens



gwedren a win




sampel heb cost




Another way of saying “please” 


is to add “mar pleg” at the end.


e.g. My a vedn assaya an gwlânek gwydn, mar pleg.

       My a vedn saya an gwlânek gwydn, mar pleg.

       I will (want to) try the white jumper, please.


       My a venja drei an kei, mar pleg.

       I would like to bring the dog, please.


This would be a good opportunity to try using different colours.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At Home With Cornish 1

At Home With Cornish 65