At Home With Cornish 65

In At Home With Cornish 62 we looked at going somewhere

and buying something:



My eth dhe'n shoppys ha perna …


I went to the shops and bought …


e.g. My eth dhe'n shoppys ha perna avalow.

I went to the shops and bought apples.


To say what you bought, you can use (in simple past tense)


My a bernas … I bought …


e.g. My a bernas avalow. I bought apples.

My a bernas avalow en shoppa. I bought apples in a shop.


Here are some other outlets for things you can eat or drink.


marhas (an varhas)



gorvarhas



erber marhas



chei kiger




chei pobas



gwicor losow kegin



chei a'n spicer



chowster



gwicor gwin





e.g. My a bernas avalow en gwicor losow kegin.


I bought apples in a greengrocer's.


Or slightly differently:

E'n gwicor losow kegin my a bernas avalow ha cavach.


In the greengrocer's I bought apples and a cabbage.


E'n gwicor gwin my a bernas bottel a win rüdh.


In the wine merchant's I bought a bottle of red wine.


You can find plenty more examples of food in previous blogs.


Can you match them up with the right seller?


Where would you buy any of the following items?


Piw üjy ow qwertha hebma? Who is selling this?


bleus leun wholemeal flour

grappys Corynt currants

üdn liter a leth one litre of milk

torth a vara a loaf of bread

box a whegow a box of sweets

fardel a de a packet of tea

tregh bowin a beef steak

pompyon a pumpkin

bottel a eysyl brag a bottle of malt vinegar

pemp hernen wydn five herrings

lies bibyn boubyn a lot of prawns

yer er fresh chickens


This could also be a good time to practice your numbers,


e.g. En chei kiger my a bernas deg selsigen.


        In a butcher's shop I bought ten sausages.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At Home With Cornish 1

At Home With Cornish 64