At Home With Cornish 52

You cannot live on ice cream! 

When you are away from home at mealtimes you need to eat. 

Ple ellen nei perna boos? Where can we buy food? 

Ple ellen nei debry? Where can we eat? 

Ellen nei debry òbma? Can we eat here?

Here are some solutions.

My a venja debry en ...

I'd like to eat in a ...

Nei ell perna boos en ...

We can buy food in a ...


bosty vegan



chei croust 

marhas diogow 

asclotty 


chei pobas 



gorvarhas 

coffijy treth 

 

chei te 

restorant pesk 

tavern



tavern te

tavern coffy



leur croust 

The ordinary meaning of chei  is house, but in combination it can mean any building with a purpose.

The endings -ty and jy come from older forms of chei


Is it time to eat? 

Gwag o vy! I’m hungry! I’m empty! 

Ma othom dhebm a voos. I need food. 

My a res eva. I must drink. 

Pe eur ellen nei debry? What time can we eat? 

Pres boos ew. It’s mealtime. It’s time for food. 

My venja debry en scon. I’d like to eat soon. 

My vedn debry lebmyn! I want to eat now! 


Telling the time 

The word for clock is the same as English clock,  

the word for bell is similar 

clogh 

You can tell the time in  

eur “hour" (on the clock), "o'clock"  or  

ar glogh "o'clock" (by the bell)

our "hour" (as a measurement of time, 60 minutes)

Pe eur ew? P’eur ew? What time is it? 

Pana bres ew lebmyn? What time is it now? 

Hanter dedh ew. It is midday. It is noon.

Hanter nos ew. It is midnight.





 Onan ar glogh ew. It is one o’clock. 






Diw eur ew. It is two o’clock. 






Hanter wòja teyr (eur) ew. It’s half past three. 




Qwarter (our) dhe whegh ew. It’s a quarter to six. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At Home With Cornish 1

At Home With Cornish 65

At Home With Cornish 64