At Home With Cornish 46

Being polite means saying “please” and “thank you”

Pejy please (before a request)

Mar pleg please (after a request)

Meur ras Thanks (to a friend)

Meur ras dhis Thank you (to a friend)

Merastawhei Thank you (polite)

If you want to be fancy you can say

Durdala dhe whei God repay you

Gramassy or Gromercy a big thank you

You can use a or rag when saying thanks “for” something.




what you would like to drink or eat


Pejy, my a venja eva ….

I'd like to drink ...

Pejy, my a venja debry ….

I'd like to eat ...

bottel a dhowr pigüs

...a bottle of sparkling water


...gwedren a leth

a glass of milk


haneth a de

...a mug of tea


...bolla a sugen owraval

...a cup of orange juice


badna dowr

a drop of water


bara'manyn

bread and butter


maw keus

a cheese sandwich


cofen kig

a meat pasty


torthel safòrn

a saffron bun


fardelik a gresigow

a packet of crisps


Afterwards you might say

Meur ras dhis a'n cresigow. Thank you for the crisps.

Merastawhei a'n te. Thank you for the tea.

Gramassy rag an maw. A big thank you for the sandwich.

Gromercy rag an sugen. Many thanks for the juice.


If you enjoyed what you had, you can say:

Bara'manyn ew da genam. I like bread and butter.

Pastys ew da genam. I like pasties.

Te ew da genam. I like tea.

Da ew genam puptra. I like everything.


Or perhaps you would have preferred something different:

Gwell ew genam bara jynjer. I prefer gingerbread.

Gwell ew genam choclat tòbm. I prefer hot chocolate.

Gwell ew genam dehen rew vanilla. I prefer vanilla ice cream.


How to ask if something is available:

Eus whegow dhis? Do you have any sweets? (to a friend)

Eus choclat menta? Is there any mint chocolate?

Eus maw jamm dhe whei? Do you have a jam sandwich?


Is there or isn't there?

Eus po nag eus? Is there or isn't there?

Eus. Yes

Entei. Certainly.

Nag eus. There isn't.

Nantei. Certainly not.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At Home With Cornish 1

At Home With Cornish 65

At Home With Cornish 64