At Home With Cornish 14

Lôwena dhis. Jan o vy.

I hope you remember how to say "hello" and introduce yourself.

Let's learn how to say more about ourselves.

"o vy" means "I am", so there are other things we can add to it.


maw


Maw o vy.

I am a boy.


Flogh o vy.

I'm a child.

mos



Mos o vy.

I am a girl.


Flogh o vy.

I'm a child.


Trigys o vy en ... means I am living in ... or I live in 

Trigys o vy en Peran Treth. I live in Perranzabuloe.

Here are a few place names in Cornwall:

Henlys Helston (old court)

Lanseles Launcells (Seled's church site)

Porth Isek Port Isaac (corn-rich-cove)

Tewyn Plustry Newquay


Now that you know some numbers you can answer the question:

Pes bloodh os ta? How old are you?

Pes means how many, and bloodh means a year of age.

Here are some ways of answering, using bloodh.

…. bloodh o vy.

Bloodh vy ew ….


Pemp bloodh 

o vy. 



..?.. bloodh 

o vy. 




Bloodh vy 

ew ..?..


Bloodh vy 

ew dewdhek.

 

Pedn bloodh lôwen dhis! Happy birthday to you!

(or Pedn bloodh lôwen dhe jy! If you want to sing it.)

Da ew genam tesen. I like cake.

 

What month is your birthday?

Here's a way to say when it is:

Ma pedn bloodh vy en mis ……

My birthday is in (month) ……….

Ma pedn bloodh vy en mis Whevrel.

My birthday is in February.

 

Here is the list of months:

January           mis Genver

February          mis Whevrel

March              mis Meurth

April                 mis Ebrel

May                 mis Me

June                mis Efen

July                  mis Gorefen

August             mis Est

September       mis Gwedngala

October           mis Hedra

November        mis Dû

December        mis Kevardhû

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At Home With Cornish 1

At Home With Cornish 65

At Home With Cornish 64